Popular Posts

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

The Many Incarnations of The Shakespeare Sierra X18

Shakespeare Sierra Model x18- 1971-76, 
Shakespeare Ouachita Model x18W- 1976, and 
Shakespeare Proline Eaglet- 1976-77


by Larry Vienneau

The Sierra is one of Shakespeare Archery’s more recent bows. It is also the most popular.  It is unusual in the Shakespeare Archery Line because it has been incarnated as three different models but they are essentially the same bows with different names- Sierra, Ouachita, and Eaglet





From 1961-64 many of Shakespeare bows were designated with “X” with a number. The X18 in 1961-62 was a 65-inch field bow with a white glass belly and light green back, right hand only. In 1965 the bows were redesigned and renamed and often looked nothing like their predecessor.
1961-62 X18
X18 1961-62
THE SIERRA X18
My Sierra Model X18 #45
1971 Green Glass Sierra X18

Shakespeare Sierra Model x18 1971-1976
  • 52"AMO
  • Brace height 8 1/2 to 9 1/2 inches
  • Weights 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45 and 50 lbs.
    pistol grip Handle riser with Imported Imbuya wood:  varies from yellowish-brown to chocolate-brown
  • Limbs 1 5/16th inch.
  •  Glass- Dark Brown(1972-76) or Green (1971)
  • Sight window 4 inches
  • No overlay on nocks
  • arrow speed: 12 shots average, 410-grain arrow     170.13 FPS

The Sierra was one of Shakespeare's' more recent bows. It is also the most popular and successful model.  Like all Shakespeare “X” Wonderbows, this bow is named for a famous wilderness or hunting region. It is named after the Sierra National Forest, located on the western slope of the central Sierra Nevada, in California. It is known for its spectacular mountain scenery and abundant natural resources. It is a popular hunting area.


Designed to be silent and deliver equal accuracy and equal high velocity as more expensive bows
“It packs as much power as you’ll find in a bow twice its price.” (Quote from 1975 Ad) This bow was marketed to novice and experienced archers at under $28.00, it is a no-frills bow designed to be durable and reliable. I monitor sales and the green glass 1971 is scarce but hardly "very rare" as some sellers may lead you to believe. The Right Handed 1971 Green Glass Sierra X18 is uncommon but not rare since the Right Hand Sierra X18 bows were the most popular of the Shakespeare models, over 20% of all Shakespeare bows sold in the last year have been Sierra X18. I have tried to monitor auctions to determine if this bow had many limb twists. Ironically it had much less than other more expensive bows. The main problem with this bow is its 52” AMO and it stacks at over 28” draw so stress cracks are common. They are mostly cosmetic and don’t seem to be a problem with performance. Shakespeare also supplied Sears, and Montgomery Ward with these bows for their archery lines. You may find similar bows without a Shakespeare logo or Sierra marking. If you compare the lines of the un-marked bow with a Sierra you will see they are indistinguishable. Another trait is the nocks which are a bit clunky but were designed for durability, not beauty.


This is s superbly crafted simple low-cost bow, a perfect example of form and function. Inexpensive does not have to mean low quality.  It is a tough hunting bow and an excellent shooter.  This is a great starter bow for anyone with a shorter draw length who wants to start shooting traditional bows. The Sierra is offered often in auctions. Value is at the lower price end because it is a common bow. Weight and conditions should be considered before you buy.

THE OUACHITA
Lewis Kent's Rare Ouachita X18w

Shakespeare Ouachita model x18w 1976
  • 52"AMO
  • Brace height 8 1/2 to 9 1/2 inches
  • Weights 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45 and 50 lbs.
  • pistol grip Handle riser with Imported Imbuya wood:  varies from yellowish-brown to chocolate-brown
  • Limbs 1 5/16th inch.
  • Glass: Black
  • Sight window 4 inches
  • No overlay on nocks


This is the rarest incarnation of the Sierra.

The Ouachita (WOSH-i-taw) was named after the Ouachita National Forest and Mountains in Arkansas and Oklahoma. The mountains were named for the Native American tribe that once lived there.

When this bow appeared at auction I thought it was a mistake.  I had never heard of this bow and there is absolutely no information available online. So I contacted the unquestioned authority on Shakespeare / Root bows, George Stout. He told me that it was, in fact, a renamed Sierra. It was the last model of the Sierra before Proline bought the company. They changed the name for one reason or another but it's the same bow. The next year it became a bow called the Eaglet by Proline and had tip overlays. This bow belongs to Lewis Kent. Thanks, Lewis!
Proline Eaglet
Proline Eaglet owned by Wayne Kiggens

a target Proline Eaglet with White Glass
Shakespeare Proline Eaglet 1976-77

  • 52” AMO
  • Brace Height- t 8 1/2
  • pistol grip Handle riser with Imported Imbuya wood varies from yellowish-brown to chocolate brown.
  • tip overlays Imbuya wood
  • 4-inch sight window
  • Glass: Green or white


52” hunting bow. This bow is identical to a Sierra except for the wood overlay tips and green glass. This WAS the Sierra with modifications. Design for younger hunters it was the best choice of many schools and recreational centers. It came in white glass as a target bow in weights from twenty to thirty-five pounds and as a hunting bow with green glass to forty-five pounds. Like the Sierra, it is an excellent shooting, quiet, and durable bow. The brace height is 81/2 inches. No stacking at higher draw lengths. The Eaglet does show up occasionally in auctions and tends to vary in value due to weight and condition. This bow belongs to Wayne Kiggens, Thanks, Wayne!

Lewis Kent's in-the-box Sierra Hunting set....jealous!!




© Copyright, Larry Vienneau Jr.
All rights reserved.

21 comments:

  1. Oh my! This is really beautiful! So classy! I really love this!

    -QualityArcheryBows.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just bought a x-18 that is 52" 45#. Can you tell me the correct string length I need for this bow?
    You can contact me by email at johnjmueller@yahoo.com
    Thank you in advance.
    One more thing can you tell by the serial number what year it was made?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking to buy 2 Shakespeare bows for my kids.
    email direct
    michaelsta240@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just picked up an X-18 on E-bay and I'm super excited to have it. E-Bay has a pretty decent selection of vintage bows, though you'll likely find more Bear Bows then Shakespeare bows. Price range seems to be anywhere from $40 to $180, depending on how many people get into the auction. Make sure you scrutinize those photos and ask as many questions to the seller as you can though, these are 30+ year old bows that have seen some heavy use in some instances.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dad just gave me X-18 Sierra 45#. I was also wondering what the proper string length be for it. I've seen it in the gun cabinet my whole life but it's never been strung or used since I've been around. It's in pretty good condition though from what I can tell. You can reach me at morganrc42@gmail.com Thanks so much. I was amazed to find this entry with so much detail and story on the bow series.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love this!I think that these are the best of all hunting instrument.Tesla and Elon Musk
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrzMdoKPPaA

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a beautiful leather rap Shakespeare, B-2,Para-bow. It is solid fiberglass made in U.S.A. and great shape. I have owned this bow since I was around age 17, and now I am age 52. I removed the string as you should, when the bow is now been used and you can still read the seals tell you facts concerning the box. I traveled for 21 years with this bow, until I retired from the military in 2005. If anyone is interested in buying this bow, email me at georgebgregory@gmail.com Only interested buyers, please ask questions, and pictures are available. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi George thanks for your comment.
      hopefully someone will see this and contact you. You could also add your comment to our post on the Parabows:
      http://shakespearearchery.blogspot.com/2013/02/shakespeare-parabow-solid-fiberglass.html
      there are also many great forums for traditional archery which have bow classifieds, you might post your bow there as well. here are a few:
      • www.archerytalk.com
      • www.tradtalk.com
      • www.tradgang.com
      • www.tradrag.com
      • http://leatherwall.bowsite.com
      • www.stickbow.com

      good luck

      Delete
  9. Can you tell me why the green bow listed on eBay is priced so high? The green is uncommon but I have seen them before and for far less money!
    Thanks
    Bowshooter2071

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Bowshooter 2071
    I had some contact with this seller awhile back when he unsuccessfully listed his bow. The bow belonged to a family member and he has strong sentimental ties to it which is why the price is so high. I see this behavior a lot on auction sites. Even though the bow is uncommon it is priced according to emotional attachment rather than actual value. The truth is the Sierra was, by far, the most produced model in the Shakespeare archery line. The Green Glass was made for one year of five years, it appears occasionally in auctions. A right hand model is very common, lefty less so. I have seen several Green appear in auction in the last year. If he can sell the bow at that price then good for him, I hope he finds some closure by selling it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You mention a weight range on the X-18 of 20 to 50 lbs. I have a brown glass X-18 (#a43699T) that is marked at 55#. The bow is in nice condition and it doesn't appear to be refinished, so I'm confident the information is original.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very nice bow, a 55# Sierra would have been a special order, since the were made in the 20-50 lb range. They are scarce at that weight! Enjoy

      Delete
  12. I have a Ouachita #40 52 inch by shakesspeare bow x18w. I need a string for it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know I am late to this party, but I just pulled my old bow out of storage, because my neighbor's daughter is taking up archery, and I was going to let her practice with it. Had my beauty since the late 70's, haven't shot it since the 90's, probably. Turns out, she's a Ouachita 52", 45# recurve. Nice to read up a little bit about my bow. Now, it's time to go restring her, and see how she performs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ok I've been given my dad's bow it's a Sierra model x18 really need help with restoration of this bow can anyone help

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you sure you need to do a restoration? I have collected a number of bows over the years. It is surprising how many of them simply need a good cleaning. You can do that with any inexpensive furniture polish. Clean the heck out of it, and assess what the problems are. Look for cracks, crazing, holes, splintering glass, and things like that before you decide to string it up. If everything looks good and you do decide to string it, use a bow Stringer and go slow. If it feels like it is going well, go ahead and string it to a brace height of about 9 in, give or take a half an inch. Generally speaking, this means you will need a string that is about 4 in shorter than the bow and you can make adjustments to the brace height by twisting or untwisting the string. That is the basic starting point for me. If you decide you need to refinish the bow or buy new decals for it, lots of advice can be found online. You will find lots of opinions!

      Delete
    2. Yep and due to how durable this bow is, I bet it will be 8/10 times good to use but just make sure.

      Delete
  15. Almost won off E-bay one of these bows the older Shakespeare Sierra X--18 at 45# or a just Sierra model without the X--18 I forget. The 2 main problems to not getting this model was the internet had to log back into and a person got the bow for USA $162.99, $2 over my last bid at $160.99 and the other was that all other bows in this model were crap conditions of poor storage and delamination with some asking as much as one would get for a new bow or were for right hand only and the only good one was a kids model from Golden Eagle at the 20 pounds so not what I wanted as that bow was not for me and due to size. I ended up die to being 5 foot 2 inch/62 inches or 157 centimeters getting a model of bow that is the OEELINE Airobow 54 inch single piece and looks like a slightly less fancy wood designed copy of the Bear Grizzly but made smaller.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Been shooting my Sierra x 18 52 inch, 45 lb., for about 50 years. It is my favorite bow to shoot. Extremely powerful after all these years. I can shoot it at 20 yards pretty accurately with lite arrows.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A friend just gave me a Sierra x18 52" last night. I haven't shot in years and wanted to get back into it. I just got through shooting with my kids. Felt great! I see what you mean with the superficial cracks. It doesn't affect the bow in any negative way that I noticed. I just wanted to see when these were produced to get an idea of the age. Happy Shooting 😃 sweeet blog ✌️

    ReplyDelete