Popular Posts

Saturday, August 24, 2013

The Odd Shakespeare Wonderbow X19 and the Early Shakespeare "X"wonderbows



The Odd Shakespeare Wonderbow X19
by Larry Vienneau
Shakespeare Archery 1961 magazine insert

The Shakespeare Wonderbow has a unique history. Shakespeare Corporation has been producing fishing equipment since the 19th century. After World War II, fiberglass became widely available.  Shakespeare saw the potential of fiberglass for fishing rods and became an industry leader in fiberglass applications.  In the early 1950s, fiberglass found its way into the archery market. In 1959 Shakespeare acquired Parabow, producers of solid fiberglass bows. They also formed a partnership with archery manufacturer and legend Ernie Root. Their first laminated composite wood and fiberglass bows were the 1959-60 Model 100-600 bows. From 1961-64 Shakespeare began using the "X" designation for their bows. Later in 1964, Shakespeare began producing hunting and target bows with the X designation with a Model name such as the famous Necedah X26.

From 1961 – 1965 Shakespeare was experimenting with materials and designs. Ernie Root’s influence was very obvious in these early bows. After 1960 the “X” designation was used. Interestingly Ernie Root also used the “X” designation in his own Root bows. Many of the later Shakespeare bows had earlier incarnations during this period. These later bows had very few similarities to the earlier versions.  For example:
  •         The 1961-62 X15 had three versions, 63” 66” and 69”. It was designed as a target bow. In 1966 the X15 became the X-15 Titan.
  •         In 1964 X-16 was introduced, in 1966 it became the X16 Supreme.
  •         In 1961 there was the X17 which in 1966 became the X-17 Ocala.
  •        The X18 in 1961-62 was a long AMO of 64”. In 1971 the X18 was completely redesigned as the X18 Sierra 52 AMO.
  •        The X20 1961-62 was unusual because it was ambidextrous and the last Shakespeare bow with a leather-wrapped handle, it was very similar to the 1959-60 Model 500 and 600. In 1968 the X-20 became the X20 Manitou which looked nothing like its previous version.
  •        The X22 was introduced in 1964 as a dual hunting/target bow, in 1966 it was reintroduced as the X22 Custer.
  •        In 1964 the X24 was designed as a semi-recurve. In 1966 the X24 Yukon was presented as an all-round hunting /target bow
All of these early “X” bows went on to another version, all except for the poor X19 Wonderbow. Why couldn’t the 1968 X-21 Tioga have been the X19 Tioga or the 1971 X23 Pecos have been the X19 Pecos?

The 1961-62 X-19 Wonderbow was different than most of these earlier designs, it had a riser forward design rather than a riser backward like a traditional longbow. It was also an odd length at 63" in the early 1960 and 60" late 1960s and 70s. The only difference between the two years was that 1961 had a white glass back and gray belly and 1962 was a front and back gray glass. Like many of these early X bows, the riser was durable maple wood. What makes this bow an orphan? Perhaps there were plans for another X19 incarnation that never developed. Perhaps Ernie Root merged the qualities of the X19 into later bows. We will never know.

 
Lewis Kent's unique and scarce Gray 1962 Wonderbow X19
Lewis Kent's Unique 1968 (?) Wonderbow X19

This example of the X19 belongs to my friend Lewis Kent. The X19, like most of these early bows, was produced as the right-hand bow, lefties were special orders. So Lewis, a righty, gets all the fun!  We spotted this gray glass bow on eBay and we were both intrigued. Lewis bid and won it. A few weeks later the green glass and walnut riser X19 were up for auction. It is quite different than the 1961-62 models. The profile is different and it does not have the model number with the logo, the model number is handwritten on the riser. It is a very odd one too because the serial number dates it as 1968 but this bow does not appear in 1967-69 catalogs. 

calfskin arrow rest

The bow was in very good shape but it needed some refinishing. Lewis did an amazing job and even added a calfskin rest identical to the original rest. 

It is distinctly different than other early X bows because of its brief history. It is also unique because of the gray fiberglass. The only other Shakespeare bow to use gray glass was X17.  It is a very beautiful color gray and has a slight green cast to it. Lewis prefers dark wood risers but he is the first to admit that this is an exceptionally beautiful bow. The color combination of gray glass with the golden maple riser makes for a truly stunning and rare bow!!

UPDATE: SEPTEMBER 13,2014 
Of course, there is always something unexpected when dealing with vintage bows, especially in Shakespeare. When I first wrote this article on 8/24/2013 Lewis Kent and I were confident we had figured out the chronology of this enigmatic bow. The design fits perfectly into the early bows which Ernie Root made for Shakespeare, they were typical of the early 1960s bows. However earlier this year Lewis won an X19. When it arrived he compared both bows and was surprised to find that the bow had a "Shakespeare Archery Equipment" logo typical of 1970! Its serial number shows that it was made in December 1970.

 
Lewis Kent's odd X19 1970 with style logo and medallion and leather Root style arrow rest

 This odd X19 also had the raised medal medallion found on bows from the early 1970s. It also has a gray leather arrow rest used by Ernie Root during the early 1960s.
 We debated why there is such inconsistency in this model. I suggested that this bow may have been resurrected in the 1970s to be used by the US military. The Army used the Shakespeare M24 as a recreational bow for the US troops in Vietnam. Perhaps Shakespeare was also sending the X19? But Lewis disagrees because of the shiny metal medallion, which he feels is inconsistent with military use which makes sense. I have been sitting on this update for quite a while, trying to research this newer incarnation of the X19. I have found nothing. It leaves us scratching our heads!!!

SECOND UPDATE: 8/13/2022
I originally published this post in 2014, but it has taken me nine years to finally find a left-handed X19-63 Wonderbow. The bow looked dirty when I bid on it, and when it arrived it was dirtier than expected. But the limbs were straight, and the gray fiberglass had very few scratches. I did a quick cleaning with Windex and discovered that the bow was in remarkably good condition and would not require refinishing. I use the white eraser pads and Renaissance Wax and the cleaning and polishing was done in less than an hour. The 1961 & 62 catalogs describe the bow with a calfskin rest and strike plate, so I added the same to the bow. I put an old string on it and had to fling a few arrows. I like the gray fiberglass and it is a nice shooter, at about 46 pounds. I have ordered a 63" AMO Dacron 50 string and plan on putting it to work soon. 
White eraser pad and Renaissance Wax

My left-handed Wonderbow X19-63, 46 pounds

Shakespeare Wonderbow X19 1961, 1962, 1968, 1970

  • 63-inch AMO1961-62, 60 inches 1968 and 1970
  • Draw weights: 20- 50 lbs.
  • Riser- Maple and walnut
  • calf skin arrow rest
  • Maple tip overlay
  • Glass: Ivory White back, Steel Gray belly -1961, Steel Gray back and belly 1962. 1963 - Green glass walnut riser
  • 6-inch sight window
  • Brace height- 6 ¾
  • Right hand, the left hand was special ordered.
  • Wonderbow logo
  • 1970 Shakespeare Archery Equipment Logo and raised metal medallion




A very RARE x19 set, circa 1962.

if anyone has information on the X19 please share.





copyright (C) Larry Vienneau


19 comments:

  1. I wanted to make sure my comment went through. I picked up a wonderbow x19 with #'s 45+ M85270 60" I know what they mean it's just that my bow is only one digit off from the posted x19 "Lewis Kent unique 1963". His # M822771D.....mine M82270D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was mine made one bow ahead of his?

      Delete
    2. I never got found this comment, sorry Rick
      Yours is made before Lewis Kents bow

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this blog post. I found a nice bow of my late father, which looks like it was camo-painted over leaving only the model number G0191928D under the 40# writing along with the 60# bow length with then the name X19 written below all. I always wanted to know where this bow came from. So it looks like i got a Shakespeare bow!

    I would really like to restore it's original look....i wonder since there is laminated fiberglass if hand sanding it down with 120 grit sandpaper would work and strip off the old paint>>>?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi I would try a little solvent alcohol, it sometimes removed spray paint. if that does not work try sanding, I would not use 120 sandpaper, try 220 or 400 wet dry paper. be careful around the decals. take your time.

      Delete
    2. Hi. my first posting. I have been trying to identify my recurve bow for weeks. I bought it new in the late 70's I think. Used it mostly for target, but rarely, then it went to my wall to enjoy just looking at it as I got older. I stumbled onto this website and noticed the same markings as my X19 model 81537D 45#, 60" bow. Below the X19 marking is roman numeral II. Anyone out there that can confirm if this is actually a Shakespeare bow and is it a Ernie Root design? What might the value be?
      Tim

      Delete
  3. i bought this bow for my grandson 45# 60in. green glass,walnut riser. logo is shakespeare archery equipment. the number is L02999D. there is no evidence it ever had a shakespeare emblem. did all shakespeare bows have a emblem? i really enjoy your sites and videos. you have given me the bug. i also bought a kaibab. larry griffith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Larry
      Judging from the serial number it is a 1970 the emblems were after 1972 or so. Glad you enjoy the site, I wish I had more time to work on it, but I do keep trying. Thanks!!

      Delete
  4. Hey Larry,
    Thanks for running this site!! I recently picked up a Cascade X-29..pretty cool little bow and trying to quiet it down. Next to my '57 Kodiak it sounds considerably louder but I'll keep working on the bh. I also picked up an X-19 with green glass and looks like walnut riser. A single Shakespeare sticker on the upper limb (back)60" with number E023840 with no tip overlays. Pretty small grip but i like the way they flattened out the back of the palm swell so my hand slides in nicely. Need to pick up a sting and see how she shoots!!
    Thanks again,
    Chuck

    ReplyDelete
  5. addendum to the post above...after a closer look mine is identical to the 1970 listed above. Same '70 era Shakespeare sticker but mine is missing the little metal emblem but i can see where it was gluded on. Now the search begins for the emblem for when I refinish it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chuck, glad the site is helpful. I have a Cascade. I added limb dampers and string silencers, it is Great shooter!!! The emblems are hard to find but keep on it. I found one on eBay that I used on a bow

      Delete
  6. First. Let me say what a great website this is for the Shakespeare collector. I started off collecting Bear and Black Hawks. Black Hawks are found a lot as the Cravotta Bros. were a local bow maker. About a year ago I purchased an "unknown" bow with a homemade camouflage paint job. I carefully removed the paint and found it was a Shakespeare X-26 Necedah. It's in great shape so I put a string on it and after shooting it It became my favorite shooter in my collection. I have been hooked on Shakespeare bows ever since.
    The reason I'm posting though is that over the weekend I picked up a X-19 in great shape. Same green as my Necedah. No name. Came here like I often do and I see that I have the same "mystery" bow that you describe. X-19, 60" bow. Early style Root leather rest and 1970 Shakespeare Archery logo. Very excited to shoot it once I make sure all is well with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never been able to find a x19 lefty. Send photos!!
      Congratulations

      Delete
  7. Wonderbow X19 45+ M82770D 60"

    What can you tell me about it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never got found your old comment comment, sorry Rick!!!
      Yours is made before Lewis Kents bow.😃

      Delete
  8. Hello, Thank you for all the great information on your site. my daughter wants to start shooting so I thought I would try to get her something cool. I found a X19 for her but its missing the string. this is the info 63" C-1106-E 35#. Would anyone know the correct string length to buy? From the color scheme I believe this bow was produced in 1961. As long as there is no delamination or cracks would this bow be safe to shoot? Thanks in advance for the help.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a model X19-63 K-2012-E 50. I still shoot with it when ever I can. The finish around the riser has worn off and would like to know what kind of finish it had. I want to put a clear finish back to protect the wood.
    If anyone knows what the original finish was please let me know.

    Thanks onlyshado

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a 60s Shakespeare wonderbow x24 bow that I've proudly owned since 11...recently I noticed that the Shakespeare medallion...Can't seem to locate any....any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thought I had read everything in this blog, but I hadn't seen this entry on the X-19 until now! Looks interesting. Hard to tell definitively from the picture, but Larry's lefty X19 above looks a lot like my Kadet, from the color of the glass to the shape of the maple riser. Any link there?

    Scott

    ReplyDelete