|Shakespeare Catalog May 1969|
by Larry Vienneau
“The Necedah” is one of Shakespeare Archery’s most famous and popular Wonderbow Models. It was the first Wonderbow to be named after a famous hunting area, Necedah National Wildlife Refuge in Wisconsin. This bow is a sweet shooter and was a strong competitor with Bear Archery. Its design shows the obvious Ernie Root influences and resembles the Root Warrior Model.
- The X-26 at 55" 1964-65
- The X-26 at 58" in brown 1966-71,
- The X-26 at 58" in Green Fiberglass 1972-73
- The X-28 at 58" in Green wood and green fiberglass 1974
- The X-31 at 58" in Green wood and other hardwoods laminated with green fiberglass 1975-76.
|Ernie Root's Bush Master Game Master and Warrior 1966 Ad|
My bow is a 1964 55”AMO Necedah x26 @50lb.It is unusual because it has "X-25 55" under the Wonderbow logo. After 1964 Shakespeare stopped placing the model number lower right of the company logo. The Model Number is found under the model name 1965
|my scarce 1964 X26-55 lefty|
|my X-26 58 inch, note the different logo. This logo was used 1969 or later|
Necedah X 28, 1974, 58 inches
Necedah x 31 1975-76 58 inches
- Weights 35, 40, 45, 50 and 55 lbs
- Cinnamon Brown 1964-1971 or Forest green fiberglass 1972-76
- Handle Imbuya Wood or Wonderwood - a green colored impregnated hardwood, X-31was multi-laminated hardwood and Greenwood)
- Sight window 4 1/2 inches
- Brace height 7 3/4
- 2 inch wide limb
- Imbuya or Wonderwood tip overlay
- arrow speed 12 shots avg. 410 grain arrow- 50 lb. Necedah 55” -187.74 FPS, 45 lb. Necedah 58"- 184.66 FPS
The profile of the X-26 remained identical to the Root Warrior until Shakespeare moved its operation to South Carolina. Ernie Root left Shakespeare in 1969. In 1970 the profile of the Necedah changed and it resembled other bows in the Shakespeare Line. In 1970-71 the riser was modified and green glass was used.
|Lavi Niv's nice X26 Green Glass|
|Lewis Kent's beautiful Wonderwood X28 with stabilizer|
X - 31 probably 1975-76
This variety is unusual. It is similar to both the Necedah X 28 and Super Necedah. It is 58" AMO and has green glass. It uses Green Wonderwood in the riser but it also has multi-lamination, rare for a Shakespeare Bow.
|my rare left hand Necedah X-31|
Lavi Niv and Lewis Kwnt
|November 1965 Ad|
*Information of the Necedah is sketchy especially in regards to the 58” X-26 and X-31, the dates are unclear. Anyone with additional information PLEASE comment.