Popular Posts

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Shakespeare Wonderbow X20, and Manitou X20



The Early X20- 1961-62
The Manitou X20- 1968

by Larry Vienneau
1961 X20
 
My 1961 Model X20-58 with woven fiberglass
x20 1962- thanks to eBay calibrator73


X20 in the original box thanks to eBay calibrator73
 Shakespeare's first laminated bows were produced from 1959-60 and were known as Model 100 through Model 600. please see my post: http://shakespearearchery.blogspot.com/2013/01/early-wonderbows.html From 1961-64 many of Shakespeare bows were re-designated with “X” plus a number. The X20 in 1961 was a 58-inch entry-level bow with bright red fiberglass. The X20 looked very similar to the 1959-60 Model 600 which also had ambidextrous arrow rests, had an identical profile, and was just two inches longer. The 1961 X20 was also the last Shakespeare laminated model with a leather-wrapped handle. The 1962 X20 was made into a RH or LH bow and the leather wrap was dropped.
X20 1961-62 semi recurves and X20 Manitou Hunting recurve bow in 1968

    The 1968 Manitou X20 is named after the world-class bowhunting region, North and South Manitou Islands, in Michigan.  The area had been occupied by Native Americans as early as 11,000 B.C.E. Manitou is a Native American word but there are similar words with the same meaning found in several Asian cultures. The” Manitou” are the spirit beings of the Algonquian groups of Native Americans. This spirit is seen as a living being as well as a spirit. Everything has its own manitou—every plant, every stone, even machines.  Other Native groups use similar words but slightly different meanings;  mantóac meaning "gods"


The word "manitou" (in both Cree and Ojibwe) is written in Canadian Aboriginal Syllabics. Hämbörger,  Wikipedia
  In 1925, nine adult deer - four bucks and five doe were introduced to the North and South Manitou Islands. The deer thrived and breed rapidly, the island became a haven for bowhunter. The islands were once heavily logged but today they are part of The Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, Empire Michigan. I was honored to have spent 2 weeks there as a Visiting Artist, in the Artists in the Park Program (an amazingly beautiful place!!)
  Shakespeare Archery created a series of bows designed for the rookie archer which included The Manitou x20, The Custer x 22,, and Yukon x24 models. The Manitou introduced in 1968, was the most expensive of these three bows and was carefully designed to be durable and tough yet accurate.  It was produced with the younger archer and was expected to “take the strenuous beating of beginners” in a school or camp setting. It was also produced for bowhunting and tournament shooting; The Manitou is a smooth shooter for archers up to 31 draw length. The “Island” Maple for the Manitou riser was said to have been harvested Manitou Islands. The glass varied from brown, green, and mustard tan. The Maple is a strong wood and its color can fluctuate from a honey color to deep brown and sometimes these varied colors can be found in a single riser. 

My 1968 41 lb. Manitou with brown glass
Later mustard color glass 1970
Brett Parker's 1969 Green Glass Manitou X20

The Manitou X20 -  1968 -1970

  • AMO: 58 inch
  • Weights: 35 lb. to 50 lb.
  • Riser: “Island” Maple -pistol grip
  • Limbs: 1 ¾ inch
  • Glass: brown 1968 and 1969 green, light brown 1970(mustard)
  • Sight window: 3 inch
  • Brace Height: 8 inch
  • Maple and Cherry tip overlays
  • Chronograph 410-grain arrows, 12 shots, averaged: 175.79 FPS


     
The Manitou X 20 in Right Hand doesn’t show up in auctions very often and the X20 Left Hand is even scarcer.  This might be due to its intended use as a novice or youth bow, or perhaps it is an uncommon bow. I know that the Yukon and Custer bows tend to be pretty dinged up in the lower weights and the upper weights are in decent shape, hunters care for their bows!!  I know that I have had problems finding a nice Lefty. The bow I have now come up on eBay as an auction / buy-it-now option. I snatched it up within the first half hour that it was offered. It is labeled “40+” and it pulls at 41 @ 27 ½ (my Draw).

      The bow was in great condition. It had a couple dings but the finish was nearly perfect, the tips were excellent and the limbs were straight. After cleaning, a little polishing, and a new rest the bow was ready to shoot. I thought I wasn't a fan of light-colored risers but I have changed my opinion, this riser is very handsome. It is a pistol style similar to the Super Necedah and Mancos. The bow also has attractive tip overlays, possibly cherry? I shot the bow this afternoon, it shoots beautifully, has a smooth draw, has no stacking is fast for 41 lbs., and has nice tight groups. The riser is a bit bulkier than some of my other bows and very substantial. I like the feel and balance of it. Chronograph tested 12 410 grain arrows shot and averaged: 175.79 FPS- faster than some of my heavier weight bows.

     I waited a long time for this bow and passed up many other Manitou left-hand bows with flaws. This bow is nearly perfect and proves that patience does pay, the advice I fail to follow sometimes. Personally, I feel a bit of a connection to this bow because of the time I spent as Visiting Artist at Sleeping Bear National Lakeshore and the time I spent on North Manitou Island. I used my time there exploring, painting, and salmon fishing, it was a privilege I will remember each time I shoot my Manitou X20.


© Copyright, Larry Vienneau Jr.
All rights reserved.
 

5 comments:

  1. I just acquired a x-20 Manitou from a friend. It is in excellent shape and from your info and pictures it is a 1968. Exactly as in pictures. Needs a little cleaning that's it. I would say near perfect condition with strings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm picking one up tonight for $80. Looks like mine is a 68-69 with a 40+ pull. I'm excited to check it out. Looks like it's mint condition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm picking one up tonight for $80. Looks like mine is a 68-69 with a 40+ pull. I'm excited to check it out. Looks like it's mint condition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just purchased a beautiful X 20 Manitou with the original quiver for only $60 at a local farm auction. Perfect tips, super clean, obviously used very little. Its time I give my 1970 black widow a rest and this bow will work perfect!~

    ReplyDelete