Popular Posts

Friday, August 9, 2013

Shakespeare and Root Bows In Action

THIS PAGE IS FOR OWNERS OF SHAKESPEARE OR ROOT BOWS:

Please share your photos of you shooting or hunting with your Shakespeare or Root Bows. send photos to- 

shakespeare.archer@aol.com 

from our Facebook group:

Jermy Leemgraven with Super Necedah
Aaron Brill Game Master Robin Hood

December 2016. I have neglected this page. Here are some nice action shots we received on our Facebook page.


Cody Connerley sent us this photo of his fine doe taken with his Super Necedah

Thomas Goessman harvested two fine bucks with his Necedah x26

Brett Parker has been contributing for awhile, he sent this great photo with his Super Necedah

Cameron Root sent this shot of his beautiful Root Game Master

July 21 2014

Brett Parker posted these fine photos of his mint 1969 Manitou X20. "Mint" is overused by many seller but this bow was unused in its original box with all the packing information...that is what mint means...unused.  Thanks Brett!!

 

May 19 2014
Russ Otis shared his collection with us. He has a mint "in the box" Necedah, a fine Mantiou and a dark example of the Yukon. Thanks Russ!!


April 23 2014
I was going through my photos of bows we used in the blog and realized that I have tons of photos of bows from Lewis Kent's collection of Root / Shakespeare bows. The photos are disbursed among 50 blog articles. so I thought featuring his collection would be a nice way to say thanks for all of his help on the blog. These bows are absolutely beautiful!!! 
Shakespeare M24
Root Field Master
green Necedah X28 with stabelizer
Purist X4
Model X19
Tioga X21


Pecos X23


Trident X25
Green Model X19
Supreme X16
1959-60 Model RH 400
1959-60 Model 200
1967 Ocala X17 with sight
Ouachita X18W
Model X17
Root Pendulus Supreme
Model M24
Shakespeare / Parabow B-2 Brushmaster
Mint "in the Box Sierra X18

Pecos X21
Shakespeare QT takedown

Root "Butcher Block" Game Master
Root by Shakespeare Pendulus Supreme


April 13, 2014 
We have another Root! Cameron Root, yes, Root!! Perhaps a branch of the Root family in Canada?? Cameron has been having great luck in acquiring Root and Shakespeare bows for his collection. He bought the RH 300 which was on eBay for over a year. The seller once wanted $695 for it but I am happy to say Cameron talked some sense into the guy and got it for a very good price. He also picked up a second RH 300, a Kaibab  X27 and a 1950's Root, a great start to a collection!!!
Cameron Root's Family portrait: 1950's Root, two RH 300s, and a Kaibab X27.....a beautiful family

Cameron's Vintage Root







Cameron's Kaibab X27
Cameron's RH 300

March 29th 2014
Archery Duns, the user name for a fellow from Duns, Scotland sent these photos of a Yukon X24 to our Facebook group page. He is going to research the importer. George Stout suggested that many US manufacturers had international divisions, which seems likely. This bow is in excellent condition with original strike plate and "Hunter Rest"
Thanks to Archery Duns!!
This nice Yukon X24 with original plate and rest found a home in Scotland.

March 7th 2014 
Lewis Kent has an annual camping event on his property. It is always a great time. Here are some photos of the kids shooting an assortment of bows. 
this is a great photo of new versus old, 1960s Model X20 and 21st Century PSE compound
Excellent form!

Zombies don't stand a chance

one realllly dead Zombie

February 23 2014
I received this email and photos of a vintage 1950's Root:
Hello folks,

I found your website and thought I,d send you some pics of my Roots bow. From the pics I’ve seen I believe I have a Field Master 66" 45lb bow. I bought it at a yard sale for 5dollars. One tip was damaged so I removed the overlays and replaced them with Bubinga and black glass. The finish was bad so I refinished the bow.   Don’t know what year it is but think in the 50’s. I love the green glass. I’ll be carrying it this fall here in NH for deer. Take care and God bless   

George  Trefethen. 
 
George's refinished 1950's Field Master
Thanks George!!!!


February 9 2014
here are three Shakespeare and Root Bows I found on 
I contacted the members and I am adding these for them. I am withholding their names for now.
Rattlesnake posted:
"1956 ernie root gamemaster 62" 49#@28"...........shoots like new!!!....awsome bow... i use a 1956 ernie root gamemaster; for what ever the reason its the bow i shoot best;...i do like hunting with my selfbows[total rush], but when push comes too shove and i need meat ill take the gamemaster anyday...have a safe season....snake"
rattlesnake with a nice deer
 Cecil Sinks posted:

"this bow is a Shakespeare Necedah, built in early 70's, and well- kept but thouroghly used. I bought it in '95 for my hunting buddy's (then 5 year old) son, Travis. Travis took his 1st bow-kill deer with it at the age of 13, and later took at least one more. He loaned it to my son Nick (pictured here) who took this Russian boar with it at age 12. It still looks and shoots great." He also added a more recent photo with hiss son , now 17 years, another huge boar, and his Shakespeare Super Necedah!!!

Super Necedah and nice hog
 
Cecil with his Son Nick, a large boar and the Super Necedah
Kerry Stout posted: 
"I live South of Big Rapids, Mi., the Root shop originally was at Roger Heights, Mi. They ran out of space and moved into Big Rapids. the original shop is now a Gun Shop. A friend of mine has a recurve that he purchased from the Roger Heights shop in 1962 as a factory second. he said he thinks he paid $25 for it at the time. The friend is related to the Roots, and sees Ernie's son Lawrence ocasionally. Lawrence is a retired Judge from Mecosta County. I have a Root Kadet longbow, it has a reverse handle, with slight deflex, reflex in the limbs. I was told that it was made between 1956, and 1958. Still shoots great."
Kerry with his Trophy harvested with a vintage Root bow

a beautiful Shot of his Root Kadet Bow bow with his turkey
Kerry Stout sent me a better quality of the forum post as will as this beautiful bow portrait: 
 "Here are a couple pictures of my Root Kadet longbow after a day afield.  The bow is 62", 47#@28", Serial# 11827 KA.  I have had the bow for about 2 years, and was told by a man that said he worked for Root Archery, that it was made between 1956-1958.  The bow is in original condition, with 1 small hole in the handle wrap."
Thanks Kerry!!!!!!!

February 1 2014
RG Cochran share this with me on a archery forum. He has hunted extensively with the Root Game Master. Here is a photo of him, his bow and his javelina.
RCG Cochron with his Root Game Master and Javelina

January 1, 2014 - Happy New Year!!
This is our first bow of the New Year. It was sent by David Landis. It is a sweet 1950s Root Ranger, but it needs a new home.
 
December 24th 2013
Here are eight beautiful Root bows sent to us by Joe Zoppa
thank you Joe!!!  
Joe's late 1950s Game Master
Joe's 1960s Game Master
Joe's beautiful Pendulus Supreme


Joe's Target Master


Joe's Root Warrior

Joe's Root Rovers: Dark green limbs rover 62" K6130 45#
light green limbs rover 64" E6387 37#
white limbs rover 62" J5133 40#

November 15, 2013
Mike Shaw had posted this photo on Tradgang.com. He gave me permission to re-post it here. Thanks and congratulations Mike!!!
"The old Shakespeare gets it done again He came in on my Tinks 69 sent pad. I had an eight yard shot and the old Bear Razorhead sliced right through the heart. He went about 45 yards and piled up. It took Sue and I till after dark to drag this big old boy out. Plenty of jerky to go around this year!"
 
Mike with his trophy shot with a Super Necedah
November 2 2013 -I shot my Root Brush Master for the first time -  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjtMjhnbA3E

 October 5 2013 Chris Miller recently won the nice Custer X22!

details of Chris Miller's fine example of The Custer X22

Chris's Sierra and Custer

August 23, 2013 Josh Conway's X 25 "Still a Shooter!"

August 16 2013 -George Stout shared this beautiful photo of his Shakespeare / Proline Condor.

George's outstanding photo!!

August 10 2013 - Here is an incredible bow sent to us by Drew. He does not know any history about the bow. It is a Shakespeare Compound! Shakespeare never manufactured compound bows but they did make prototypes. During the 1970's there were also kits available which allowed you to convert recurves to compounds. I wonder how many nice bows were butchered in that process. http://recurve to compound bow 

 conversion ad Drew's bow appears for be well made, the riser and limb remnants are a Sierra X18. Please comment on this bow. Any help will be appreciated




my two rare lefty bows, 1961 Model 100 and Root Game Master "Butcher Bock" 1967

7 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I have owned for the past two years to recurve bows and would like to know more information on them. First one is a Root Kadet 64" m6102 20+ 28" the second one is a Bobcat EBP 1367A LGT 5' any information on either would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Steve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Bobcat isn't a Shakespeare or Root bow. Can you send photos of the Kadet?
      shakespeare.archer@aol.com

      Delete
  2. This website is the best... I just purchased a green riser 1974 X 28 in 55# but the finish was horrible and has a slight twist in the lower limb. I followed the same directions to refinish the bow using "citristrip" and was careful not gouge anything during the process and it turned out great! now to straighten the twisted limb and I hope to hunt with it this fall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there!

    I found my dad's old bow, and need to find info on it, and I'm hoping you can help me.

    It looks like it might be a Shakespeare Brushmaster, but all the decals are gone, and the only marking I can find is what looks like stamped "50" on the back of the lower limb.

    The bow is a mottled charcoal grey color, and it is in a purple felt "sock" with the "Shakespeare Parabow" logo in yellow on it.

    There is no string. It has not been shot in probably about 30 years. I don't see any cracks or other issues with the fiber glass.

    I can provide pictures over the weekend, if that's helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a Root Indianhead recurve bow with a no. 7597 and it is gm 62" 53 28" I cant seem to find any literature on it. Thanks for any help you may have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you sure it is a Root bow?
      Can you send a photo?
      Shakespeare.archer@aol.com

      Delete