Popular Posts

Sunday, March 3, 2013

SHAKESPEARE PECOS X-23

The only Ad I have found on the Pecos X-23 1971
SHAKESPEARE PECOS X-23
by Larry Vienneau


The Pecos X 23, like all Shakespeare Hunting bows, was named after a wilderness area - The Pecos Wilderness. This is a wilderness area within the Santa Fe National Forest and Carson National Forest and is part of Pecos National Historical Park a National Historical Park east of Santa Fe, New Mexico.

Shakespeare Pecos X 23: late 1960s 1971

  • 58” AMO
  • Bow weights 40-55 Lbs
  • Limbs: 2 inch, (1 5/8 inch in unknown 1960s model)
  • Sight window 4 inch
  • Riser pistol style – Imbuya, or Rosewood or Cocobolo,
  • Overlays:  Imbuya or rosewood
  • Glass: brown or mustard (yellow-brown)
  • Brace height: 8 1/2 inch
  • arrow speed 177 FPS. 


     The Pecos X23 is a bit of a mystery. I have scoured the internet and have found very little on this bow. There are basic descriptions on a few auction sites but very there is little that is helpful. There are a few good photos of the bow online but there is no information about how long the bow was made. There is nothing on performance or details about the bow. It is a very scarce bow, but there is no information about why it is scarce. It was only made in 1971 and only appears in the 1971 catalog. So this blog post might be the only real resource for collectors available online, I hope I can answer some questions about the bow, and of course, if anyone knows anything that they think is helpful please let me know.

1971 Pecos
     At 58” inches and 2 inches wide limbs (width change later to 1 5/8), the Pecos was designed as a hunting and field bow.  The bow was built in draw weights of 40-55 pounds but there could have been heavier weights. The Pecos appear to be very similar in design to the later Necedahs, the Manitou, Super Necedah, Mancos, Wambaw, and Sierra.  All of these bows are 58” or shorter, all have a pistol grip riser, and most have relatively wide limbs. In 1971 The Pecos was 58’ AMO and had 2-inch wide limbs. These two traits result in a very smooth drawing bow. Many of these bows were designed and produced in the late 1960s – early 1970s. The only Ad of the Pecos featured it in 1971 with Shakespeare’s finest bows, The Super Necedah, Kaibab, and the Ocala. It was most likely considered a high-quality bow. The fact that there aren’t many out there could mean that they were out-competed by the new compounds which were introduced in 1972. Interestingly, I have found more Pecos in German auctions than North American auctions. Maybe the compound had a slower start there? Or perhaps they were brought there by US military personnel.

Lewis Kent's Light Brown Pecos X-23 and old buck logo (pre-1970)

 
Lewis Kent's Pecos with the new Buck logo (post-1970)

The Pecos show up occasionally on auction sites. So far this year 2013 there were two in auction at the same time on eBay. My friend Lewis Kent won both of these right-handed Pecos bow, yes I am jealous. I have been trying to get my hands on a lefty which is also scarce. He has let me use them to write this review. I am basing my review on comparisons to similar bows and direct observations. I recently acquired own all the Shakespeare Catalogs. The Pecos is only listed in the 1971 catalog and one of Lewis's bow is different than the catalog descriptions.
Pecos X23 with 1970 date. "M' indicates it was 
pre-produced in 1970 or 1971 catalogs bows have different riser shapes and glass colors. The limbs are also slightly slimmer. One of his bows has Rosewood Riser. The catalog shows a bow similar to Lewis's Pecos with dark brown glass. Since I have all of the Shakespeare catalogs, I can not figure out where the Rosewood Riser and lighter Glass fit since it only appears in 1971. Interestingly the two versions have two different Pecos logo designs, one that typically appears on bows in the 1960s and another with the logo from the 1970s. 
 The Pecos is unique because it is one of the few Shakespeare bows to use Rosewood or Cocobolo riser.  The few bows I found online have two different glasses; dark and light mustard brown.  It seems that this bow had been produced in a few varieties and Lewis has two of them.

All online referenced Pecos was 58” so it seems that the varieties were glass differences with slight variations in the riser length and the width of the tip overlays.  However, on closer inspection, these bows have many subtitle differences. The overlays are most likely Imbuya or rosewood.  

  • The Light Brown Pecos tip overlay is 5/8 inch; the Dark Brown Pecos tip overlay is 7/8 inch.
  • Both these bows have 1 5/8 wide limbs.
  • The light Pecos riser is 20 inches long while the Dark Pecos riser is 19 inches.
  • The Light Pecos shooting window thickness is 5/8 and the Dark Pecos is ½ inch.  
  • Each bow has a different Buck Logo Design

Comparison of Lewis Kent's bows- between the Light Brown and Dark Brown Pecos X-23

Lewis had to do some refinishing work on one of the risers. He mentioned that the drying time on the riser was longer than expected. Rosewood has unusual resins and oils and it does react differently than other woods due to finishes and stains. It is a safe bet that this is a Rosewood riser. I have no idea how much this bow cost when it was new but Rosewood bows are generally more expensive because the wood is more costly. So the Pecos was not a novice or entry-level bow, it was most likely offered as a mid to higher-quality bow. Shakespeare also sold this bow as part of a Hunting Set- 45 lb. Pecos X23 bow, 1/2 dozen target arrows, 1/2 dozen hunting arrows, clip-on bow quiver, back quiver, Shooting gloves, arm-guard, "ABC of archery booklet"  and target face for about $89.00- WOW what a deal!!!!!!!
The Pecos is remarkably beautiful. The lines of the bow are inspired by Ernie Root Design. The Rosewood riser is unique in Shakespeare Archery. Ocala, Kaibab, and Super Necedah have always been considered the finest examples of Shakespeare archery design. I think we need to make room for the little-known Pecos. Lewis still has a bit of work to do on these beauties so I will have to wait patiently to see these bows shoot. 
my 1971 Pecos X21, one of my best shooting bows
(August 15 2013) I finally have my lefty Pecos. I found it through one of the archery forums. It is the dark brown glass variety. It does need a little work which can wait. I have been testing my bows all summer to ascertain which models are the best most reliable shooters.  I shot 300-round sets from 20 yards over the summer. All of my bows shot very well. The surprise winners are my Cascade X29 and Pecos X23 in a tie. Pecos was the final victor because it scored more bulls-eyes. I also tested its speed. it shoots at over 177 FPS. It took me years to find this Pecos, it was worth the wait!!!


Thanks to Lewis Kent for letting me use his beautiful bows!!!    



© Copyright, Larry Vienneau Jr.
All rights reserved.

27 comments:

  1. I recently found one of these bows while cleaning out a closet. I don't know much about archery, so thank you for the info.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, I had my eye out for a Pecos X23 for sometime. I finally saw one come up on EBay starting at $34. Light mustard color @40#. Held my breath and I was the winner by 57 cents at $87.57. What a bargain for such a rare bowee. Got it yesterday, pretty good shape overall, straight. Going to shoot it today against my Cascade, Wambaw, Necedah and Super Necedah. i am sure the Cascade will give it the most run for its money. Lucky to have this bow. Thank you Ernie Root for designing such great shooting Bows. Proud to be from Michigan.

      Rick Mansberger

      Delete
  2. Wow what a great find!!!! Don't be afaraid to contact me if you have any questions. Enjoy the bow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found a pecos x-23 right hander at an estate sale it is in very nice condition. it also came with old kwikee kwiver from Acme mi. and some old arrows and old tube shaped back quiver as well. any idea the approx. value of these ? thanks. Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi
      Value varies due to condition. The Pecos isn't a common bow there are also two varieties so it depends. I finally own a Pecos and it is a very fine shooting bow, one of the best in my collection. I suggest going to eBay and looking through the completed listing for Shakespeare Archery to get an idea on value

      Delete
    2. this bow I found is the lighter colored bow. it is a 45 lb. draw. 58 inch. model it is in nice used cond . it shows minor wear on tips. appears to have original bow string in good cond. as well. I went on e-bay and last one sold for $102. butt it had no pictures to compare so don't know if the two are comparable. also what should I use to clean and or polish this with. thanks Marko. pecos model x-23

      Delete
    3. Hi Marko
      Pecos is a great bow. I have shot mime against my other more "collectable" names like Hoyt and Bear, the Pecos was faster and more accurate!!! I start cleaning with a moist cloth, then either a small amount of WD30 or solvent Alcohol. take your time and don't rub to hard. I polish with Renaissance Wax. you can get it on Amazon or eBay. but I have heard auto wax is good to. A buffing wheel is helpful. here are a couple links:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaissance_Wax
      http://shakespearearchery.blogspot.com/2013/02/how-to-refinish-vintage-bow.html

      Delete
  4. Thanks for info. have not had time to clean or polish this item yet. I can not shoot this bow because I have torn both rotator ? cuffs in my shoulders and have had to switch to crossbow hunting. I am not a collector of these bows, though I do like this, I am into other collectables and would like to find someone who would give it a good home.dont need to sell this but I have lots of other interest and someone who really would like this bow .I would be happy to sell to at a fair price. thanks Marko

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I am new to archery and started with a red-sided Fred Bear long bow that I purchased in the Upper Penisula and also have a Darton recurve. Today a found a right handed Shakespeare Pecos x-23 (#40 58") at the Webster Flea Market in Florida. Thank you so much for all of the great information on this bow. I had a feeling it was a keeper, but wasn't sure. I took a chance and got it for $60. If you are interested in having some pictures of it, I would be happy to send the info and the pictures along to help your research. I would like to get a string for this... any suggestions?
    Have a great rest of the year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great score on that bow!!! My Pecos is on of my best shooters. You will need a Dacron 50 string. There are lots of good string vendors on eBay. You will need a 54" string. Do a search for recurve strings then contact the vendor let him know you have a 58" vintage 40# recurve. He will know the best choice. Great Find!! Congratulations

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the fast reply and info!

      Delete
  6. I have a ''70s pecos x 23 50# been shooting it for about 14 yrs. One of my sons used it in the 4H nationals and another just shot it in the MS 4H state championships.His team mate was shooting a Sierra. They both shot very well against some fancy new bows with sights and gadgets.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i just purchased a pecos 23 -+40+ - 58" , seems to be in good shape . minus bowstring . you mention a dacron 50 string @ 54" is this correct ? only paid $50 for it ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup a 54" string is correct. I think the Pecos is very underrated. I have been comparing shooting scores for over a year, The Pecos has consistently the best shooter of my Shakespeare bows, the Root Field Master and The Golden Eagle were the two bows that equalled its score. Nice price on your bow!!! Enjoy it

      Delete
  8. I was cleaning an elders shed out a few summers back, and came across an old bow. I inquired about the bow and the fellow told me that If I did a good job cleaning his shed, I could have the bow. I finished his shed and with delight the elder man gave me the bow. When he gave it to me he told me that her name was gertrude. as he handed the bow over to me he spoke to the bow... this young man belongs to you now gertie, take care of him. then he looked at me and said you take care of old Gertie and she will do the same for you.......I thought it was touching that the old man, which obviously had an attachment to the Shakespear, spoke to the bow like a loved one. Later that summer he told me that he was a WWII vet, and that his son had been a Vietnam vet., and that when his son returned from Vietnam he wanted to return to the traditional ways of hunting. (PTSD) i suspect, as I have the same desire to hunt in the traditional ways since returning from the middle east. As the summer progressed I also learned that his wife had died of cancer and his son had killed himself in the early 80s. Then a few months ago The Elder went to see the Good Father himself...... So I considered it very important for me to honor that elder man by doing exactly as he said. I shoot Gertie every single day. I make my own Flemish bowstrings, I have taught all three of my children to shoot the bow and all three are experts, and I give thanks every day for the friend that gave me his last treasure...... A Shakespear Pecos X23 Right handed 58" 45# bow. yah eeh tae shinistshe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing this wonderful story. I think Gertie has found a great new home.

      Delete
  9. I have recently come across a vintage colt bow. the markings on it are 62 442-22 #40 I dont know much about bows any info on the value or type of bow would be apprecited. thank you. Justin

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great site! I have an old bow that was my grandfather's. I've never taken the time to research it until now. It is a Pecos x-23. Thank you for the detailed information. I'm excited to wipe the dust off, get a new bow string and do some shooting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations!
      It is a very under-rated bow, very sweet shooter

      Delete
  11. My Pecos 23 arrived today and after reading these comments I'm very excited to go shoot it. its in great shape and although I'm no authority I inspected it closely and three's hardly a flaw on it besides the several use marks from years of age. This is a great website, thanks for sharing your experiences, knowledge and info.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for posting this info. I scored a Pecos X-23 righty a few years back, and had a feeling there was something unique about it. This particular bow has an arrow rest and a set of 4 sights. Are these aftermarket? Or were they available from Shakespeare? They seem to be period correct. Any info would be great. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello,
      Pecos is one of my favorite bows. It never came with a sight, it was after market. If the sight has all the parts it is a score. Enjoy your bow!

      Delete
  13. By the way, thank you your blog. It is pure gold when it comes to anything about Mr. Ernie Root designed Bows.

    I have 12 of his bows including 2 of his Golden Eagles.

    Love his Bows

    Rick Mansberger

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am wondering if input to your blogs is still active. This is the ultimate Roit Shakespeare go to information and history site. I hope it is still alive.

    I just got my X23 Pecos and we shot our test and setup routine that I do for all my Bows with Shooter Turner at Guns and Bows in Morrice Michigan.

    Shooter liked the bow after we pushed the brace height to 9 1/8", the bow was sloppy at our starting point of 8.5 inches. The Pecose aims true, is fast and smooth. I think it stands well with the Cascade and Necedah for best Shakespeare X bows I own. Probably number 2 behind the Cascade. I wish this Pecos had the wide limbs.

    Thank you again for all your information. I will keep looking for another Pecos with wide limbs although I dont think I will find it at the barginbi scored on this bow, just $87 whatcha steal of a deal. Truly best dollar for value of any bow I have ever bought.

    Best regards

    Rick Mansberger

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have two pecos one from Aug 1968 mustard #302 the other from Feb 1972 brown (not sure of line #) 68 is 40+ 72 is 50. I love both bows! They shoot incredible and super quiet.. the 68 is my favorite. Shakespears are very underrated and overlooked. IMO better than all others and I’ve shot a lot of them.

    ReplyDelete