Popular Posts

Monday, October 22, 2012

Why Collect Shakespeare and Root Bows?


Why do I collect Root / Shakespeare Archery? 
by Larry Vienneau
  
 WHY BOTHER COLLECTING THEM?
  • After all, many archery companies outlasted Root and Shakespeare Archery. 
  • Many were founded long before Ernie Root and Shakespeare Archery. 
  • Many have more collector interest.
  • many archery producers made more lasting technological contributions, so why this interest in Root / Shakespeare? 

                Why Collect Root and Shakespeare Bows?
I was a child during the late 1950s and early 1960. My summers were spent in the woods, making my own bow and arrows and chasing imaginary villains with my “lethal weapons” My parents sent me off to camp and I soon found I had a knack for archery. I had always struggled with school so for me the recognition of my abilities with the bow helped my self-esteem immensely. Summer school camp was booked in the morning, fishing, canoeing, and bows in the afternoon. I was handed a solid fiberglass bow and was told to shoot. I noticed the name “Shakespeare” and remembered something about a story of how archers helped win the crown of England. I struggled with school, but I was a bright kid. “Shoot the bow kid!” was the order barked at me. I shot and hit the target dead center. “Luck” was the barked reply. I repeated the shot exactly and the barking stopped. Later that summer I won my first trophy in an archery competition. It was my first feeling of achievement and self-worth. Archery would remain an important part of my life.

During my adolescent years, archery remained on the outskirts.  I finished art school and began my life as a starving artist. I learned to make bows again and started to literally put food on the table with them. After years of hard work, I was hired to my dream job of teaching art in Alaska. My love of archery was fully reawakened again. I made longbows, recurves, and a few native-style bows. I shot in competitions and amassed a small collection of trophies and metals.  I collected and refurbished vintage bow, but Shakespeare never crossed my path again until one long late fall moose hunt. It was cold as it often is in Alaska. I had been working a ridge near a slough that had lots of moose signs. It was late and I was drained. I decided to head out before I lost the light. As I crisscrossed my trail I spotted a glint of white near a large spruce stand. Upon close inspection I realized it was a very old moose kill, there was a remnant of a skull with the antlers removed.  That was when I noticed Shakespeare. He was resting against a tree exactly where he had been placed forty or more years earlier. The hunter had placed the bow there while he field dressed his moose and while he made several trips to pack the meat. In his exhaustion, he left his bow and it stood there for decades unmoved, waiting. It was aged and cracked from the relentless cold of Alaska’s winters. Proudly the name of Shakespeare emerged from the mold and grime. It was a Parabow and its draw weight was readable at 55# enough power for a well-placed wooden arrow to take down a moose. I never got my moose that year but I did have that bow. I knew it could never be shot again but it became my first Shakespeare bow.

 I lost the bow years later in a car break-in; I lost that bow and several others that I stupidly left in my car. But that Shakespeare fiberglass bow was special. It stood unyielding for decades, waiting for me to come along. I started collecting again a few years ago and soon found a rekindled love for the Root / Shakespeare bow I had known as a child. So when I hear “Why collect Shakespeare? they aren’t worth much are they?” 
I shake my head and chuckle because I know that they are priceless. 
http://www.tradbow.com/public/272.cfm 
Chris Libby's wonderful article on Fiberglass Bows.
Early 1960s Shakespeare Parabows


© Copyright, Larry Vienneau Jr.
All rights reserved.

14 comments:

  1. That is a great story!!!

    I love my Shakespeare bows. I am the proud owner of 4 Shakespeare bows. They are smoother to draw and shoot, and exhibit no handshock, than my Bear bows.

    I am a burgeoning collector of Shakespeare bows and I hope to gather at least one of each model they made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment! Bear are great bows but Shakespeare bows are just as good in performance, speed and accuracy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I first started shooting bows when I was in Indian Guides and then later in Boy Scouts. I remember having fun, but it wasn't till I was in High School that I remember shooting targets with the fiberglass bows. I don't remember the make of the bows. They were all placed in a barrel and you grabbed a bow and some arrows and lined up.

    It wasn't till after college that I picked up a bow again. I bought a compound and began the long learning process of hunting game with it. I was a good shot, but when an animal came within range I would find a way to make a noise or drop an arrow from the stand. My skills improved and eventually I began regularly take deer with the bow.

    Throughout my life I have also loved working with wood. Eventually I married the love of archery and the love of wood working when I found old recurve bows. I blame it on some chowder head named Larry. I started with one modern recurve for my wife. Then Larry showed me his Shakespeare collection. He told me how cheap they were and the rest is history. I have over 20 Shakespeare and Root bows right now and I'm sure a few more will be in the mail soon. Each bow is different and beautiful in it's own way. I'm addicted to collecting beautiful originals and repairing the old beaten examples. I hope I don't get tired of this hobby, I'm pretty sure I won't. I just need more time to shoot them all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am looking for information on age of my new old shakespeare bow the logo says Shakespeare Archery equipment in the bow logo, the other side has a logo of two bows back to back with the words Purist model X4 AMO standard. It has a small inscription of 66" ,, 4832 D ,, 35#. The writing before the serial number look like a mustache over the bottom part of a cursive S, can not actually figure out what it is. It does have a mount for a stabilizer.

    Thanks Richard in Oregon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Richard. The Purist is a very beautiful target bow!!
      here is a link to a blog post on the Purist
      http://shakespearearchery.blogspot.com/2013/01/shakespeare-purist-x-4.html

      Delete
  5. You went to art school and so did I...Philadelphia College of Art 1960-64. This is a great site...thank you for it. Joe H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joe
      Archery is similar to art, it requires dedication, practice, some ability, and hard work. I am a painter and printmaker and I still teach when I am not shooting my bows, hehe
      I had a student recently graduate from Philadelphia College of Art. He loved it
      thanks!!

      Delete
  6. I recently got a bow from my uncle, its a Shakespeare and it says parabow its 35 draw strength, it needs a string but other than that and some touch up paint its in good condition for being 53 years old and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent, they are fun bows. what is the length of your bow? measure it and subtract 4 inches, that is the length you need for the string. ( a bow at 54 inches will need a 50 inch sting) A 12-4-14 strand string should be fine. enjoy!!!!

      Delete
  7. It says 62 1/2" on the bottom part for the string, its a little shorter than me and I'm 5 foot 7inches

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have read all the comments and suggestions posted by the visitors for this article are very fine,We will wait for your next article so only.Thanks! youth bows reviews

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is this blog still active? I'm looking to find a vintage emblem for my Necedah, like the one pictured at the top of the page. My contact info: tom@pnwbowhunting.com 360-870-7264. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was looking for a full guideline and here I got it. I hope this article has made your day by providing valuable information. Have a nice day!

    This article will help you manage all aspects that make you a string bows and a better crossbow sighter. By following the guidelines, your shooting season will remain perfect.

    ReplyDelete