Popular Posts

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Shakespeare Model X22 and THE CUSTER X22

Shakespeare Catalog May 1969


The Custer X22 Wonderbow

by Larry Vienneau
   
Naming a bow “Custer” is quite ironic, especially when you consider how the bow factored into General Custer's demise.  The “X” Wonderbows are named after National forests or well know hunting regions.  The bow is actually named after Custer National Forest in Montana and South Dakota, a huge 1,188,133 acres forest and grassland area part of the greater Yellowstone area, one of the largest intact temperate ecosystems left on the planet.

X-22: 1962-65
  • AMO 60"
  • 25-50 lbs
  • sight window 5 1/2 inch
  • limb width 1 1/4
  • glass: white woven belly(1962 & 63), white or brown parallel back (1964 & 65)
  • brace height 6 1/2 from back of bow
  • riser: Cherrywood
  • rest: vertical feather with calf skin arrow strike 
The Custer X22: 1966-1971
  • 62” AMO
  • 20,25,30,35,40,45, and 50 lbs.
  • Sight window 5 1/2 inch
  • Limb width 1 ¼ inch
  • Brace height 7 ½ 
  • Pistol grip riser
  • Riser: Cherry (1966-68), or Imbuya wood (1969-1971)
  • Glass in various colors: dark brown and white Glass
  • Arrow speed:12 shot average,410 grain arrow-168.63 FPS
The Shakespeare X22 has not always been "The Custer"  From 1959-1960 Shakespeare introduced the Model 100 through Model 600 series of recurves. These were beautifully crafted laminated wood and fiberglass. They had leather-wrapped grips, and if right-handed, had the name of RH-100, 200, 300, etc. If left-handed, they of course were LH-100 and so on. In 1961, the leather grip was dropped, and so was the RH 100.LH100. After 1962 Shakespeare dropped “Model” designations which were replaced with the ”X“ models and the bows took on a more sleek design, showing the Ernie Root influence. From 1963-65 the Model X22 was a slender 60-inch target / hunting bow with white, or brown fiberglass. 35 lb - 50 lb  5 1/2 inch sight window. brace height 7 1/2 and 1 1/2 inch wide limbs. I own two white glass Model x22 from 1963. The X-22 is a very smooth shooter and an excellent target bow. One of my bows has a woven fiberglass belly and parallel fiberglass back, a very unusual use of fiberglass while the other has parallel glass,  In 1965 Shakespeare began naming their hunting bows after famous hunting areas. "The Necedah" X26 was introduced and the X22 was re-introduced as "The Custer" X22 in 1966.
 
My 1962 X-22

My 1962 50# Model X-22
X22 with White and Brown glass
X22



my 1967 44# Custer X22 lefty
My 1966 45# Custer X-22

Shakespeare Archery created a series of bows designed for the novice archer which included The Manitou x20, the Tioga x21, The Custer x 22, and the Yukon x24 models
They were designed to be target/field bows; durable, sturdy, inexpensive, yet accurate. They were created with the young archer in mind and intended to “take the strenuous beating of beginners” in school or camp environments. They were also produced for bowhunting and were referred to as “real shooters”. Many of these bows were also part of archery sets that included bows quivers, glove targets, and arrows. The 1966-68 Custer Bow had beautiful Cherrywood Risers which is a tough wood and its color will vary from a light honey color to deep dark mustard brown and sometimes these varied colors can be found in a single riser. The Later Custer had exotic Imbuya wood which could be as dark as rosewood.
 dark wood riser with white glass

an excellent example of a two-toned Custer x22 Cherry riser
One would think that these novice bows would be plentiful however they are not. The Custer appears occasionally on auction sites and is rarely in pristine condition. It isn’t surprising that these bows are often seriously dinged and scuffed when you consider youngsters were using them. The Custer was a target/field bow and was produced as a hunting bow. The ones in higher poundage seem to be in better shape. My bows are 45# and the riser is a rich dark variety of Maple; I refinished one and used a Maple stain to bring out the mottled textures of the grain. The Custer riser style is likely an Ernie Root design.
The Custer is actually an uncommon bow, hard to find in good shape and nearly impossible to find in pristine condition. If you are lucky enough to find a Custer expect to do a little work on it. Mine was in excellent condition but there were some scrapes and discolorations in the riser and the lower limb had some scratches. Like the entire Shakespeare archery line, this bow is a fantastic shooter. At 62” it can stack for those with a long (31 or higher) draw length. For me, it is a very smooth draw and it zings an arrow! It is a very handsome bow, and as the old timers said “It is a real shooter!”


as usual, if anyone has additional information please comment.


© Copyright, Larry Vienneau Jr.
All rights reserved.

23 comments:

  1. martin reuter martin@varanus-reuteri.deJanuary 25, 2013 at 9:52 AM

    got mine today, great bow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. they really are! I like the Custer because it is really smooth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome web page. I just purchased a Custer x-22 LH on ebay and it is 64" and #40. Based on the color it was made from 1970-1971. It has a a metal Shakespeare medallion on the left side of the riser. Thought the length and medallion were unusual since I did not see this length or the medallion covered in you description.
    Look forward to getting more Shakespeare bows!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy! I am a lefty too and it took a while to find a nice left hand Yukon, glad you enjoy the blog. send some pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the site. Just got into bowing and love it. I own a ben pearson colt and a shakespear wonderbow x22 custer that my parents purchased for 20 dollars in 1972. I was with them for the negotiations down from 28 dollars for both and never knew how awesome these bows were till now. I am going to try and harvest a NC tom turkey this year for 2014 and smoke the meat along with fletching the feathers. Love the wonder bow and decided not to buy the Montana long bow because of the custer!!!! Wish me luck! I also have a strong native heritage and feel a connection to bow hunting!!! I love this bow! Thanks for taking your time to create this site!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are welcome!!! I has been a fun experience, I have learned so much. The Custer is a nice stable shooter! Hope you bag your turkey!!!

      Delete
  6. I bought a brand new Custer X-22 at the Navy Exchange store in Yokosuka, Japan in 1967. It is #45 LH model. I still have it, and it seems to shoot very well. Would like some info on care, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a 40# RH with white glass the only bow I've never sold or traded to smooth to let go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow...I just bought a x22 60# 28"... And it's not a Custer. Had no idea it was 1963. Thats awesome. Best $30 I ever spent. Plus it came with a quiver and what looks like some original arrows...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love comments like this. I saw the comment you left before you found this page. At 60" it is a 1963-65 Model x22. $30 is an awesome deal, enjoy!!!

      Delete
    2. OK so I just found out I have a left handed x22 ....but the hand hold is designed to fit my left hand not my right hand...I can shoot it either way but the arrow notch is on the right side of the bow not the left where a right sided bow should be lol...so I guess nomater what I have a lefty ...is this rare at all? I mean I already know it's a 1963-65 model but a lefty from that time period is gotta be rare right?

      Delete
  9. Can you send photos to see if it a lefty, I shoot lefty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha..nvm...it was strung backwards.. I thought something was odd about it...no telling how long it was like that. But IV got it correctly strung now and it's a righty for sure... I found your other page where you talked about backwards strung bows and it got me thinking.. I'm going to be taking lessons soon and I thank you for your informational pages..but if you'd still like pics then I'll be glad to send them to you...the bow is in pretty good condition and I'm happy to show it off..just tell me how to get you some pics..there's no photo icon on my side

      Delete
  10. First, thank you. I have just purchased an X-22 and was looking for information when I found this. I wound up reading everything and enjoyed it immensely. I love seeing the old adds and the pictures of these bows. I have been shooting trad since I was 8 (I'm 45 now) and have just really began to get interested in these bows.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for this article! I have a left handed X-22 Custer (I also shoot lefty) I received almost 19 years ago for free from my sister in law. It was her ex-husband's and he never came back for it. It's only 30# draw weight and 64" long, and yes, it's plenty dinged and scratched, but only cosmetically, as it shoots smooth and consistent! I also have a left handed Root Warrior X-100 50# and 58", and that's my hunting bow. I love them both!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just picked up a Custer 62 inch 45lb. From this website it appears to be from 1969. The Arrow strike plate and arrow rest look like they never had a shot run over them. Rest of the bow is immaculate as well. This is my 7th Shakespeare bow. They are all awesome. Thanks for this most informative website.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Which is a better shooter when tuned up a custer or a trident

    ReplyDelete
  14. Which is a better shooter when tuned properly a custer or a trident

    ReplyDelete
  15. Which is a better shooter when tuned properly a custer or a trident

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just picked up a nice 44# Custer from 1966. Not quite mint but in very nice condition. Pretty cherrywood riser with dark glass. A little light for me but a smooth shooting, quiet bow. I just stuck a bear weatherest on it an an endless loop string I had laying around. I might dress it up with a feather rest and flemish string soon. I would really like to find a 50#er with the imbuya riser. Thanks for a great site.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was considering adding a bow sling, but am afraid to drill into my 1967 X-22 to add an insert. Comments and/or suggestions greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am considering installing a bow sling for my '67 X-22, but am reluctant to drill into it to add the insert for installing the sling. Comments/suggestions appreciated

    ReplyDelete
  19. How do you tell the difference from the Imbuysa wood and the cherry? Mine is H94374g 62" 40+ why do they put plus by the pounds? Thanks for giving us access to this information. Must have been a personal sacrifice to the time it took thank you

    ReplyDelete