Popular Posts

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Shakespeare Professional X10



SHAKESPEARE MODEL X10 AND PROFESSIONAL X10

by Larry Vienneau
 
1969 Catalog
 
love the floating heads

When I first posted this review I did not own a Professional X10 but I recently bought one in an auction and I have amended this review. Blog reader Brad Barclay was kind enough to send me some great photographs of his Shakespeare Professional X10 as well as scans of The ABCs of Archery which came with the bow and he also sent scans of the original envelope!  Shakespeare ads of the period show that the bow was sold with a case, ABCs booklet, and stringer. Brad has an amazing and rare collection. I am thrilled to add this to the blog.
1963-65 Shakespeare Model X10
The Shakespeare Model X10 was introduced in 1963 and it was intended to be a top-performing tournament bow. Ernie Roots' influence is very obvious, the bow is similar to the Root Pendulus. The 1963 bow set a high production standard which continued through to the Supreme x10. The 1963-65 X10 had African Bubinga Wood and white glass. They were 66 inches and came in weights of 30-45 lbs.

I have a 1969 Shakespeare catalog and believe it or not Brad's bow is in it. I believe that my bow is a 1968 model and does not have a stabilizer adapter, but it does have a sight. We were not sure of how old Brad's bow was or if the sight and stabilizer were original, but the catalog confirmed that they came with the bow. Brad thinks the sight is slightly different, but the stabilizer is the same. The Professional X10 may have been first introduced in 1965. The reason I believe it may have been introduced in 1965 is because my Professional X10 does not look anything like the bows I can find in catalogs from 1966-71. I do not own a 1965 catalog so I have to assume that either my bow is a 1965 or it is an oddball.  




Shakespeare Professional X10

Introduced in 1965?. 1968 sight only,1969 -1971 Models had sight and stabilizer

Weights 25-45 Lbs.

7 ½ inch sight window

2-inch limbs

64, 68-inch AMO

“Pearl’ White Glass
1966 triple laminated Pau Rosa and Zebrawood riser

1967 triple laminated Rosewood and Zebrawood riser
1968 triple laminated Seduha, Bubinga, and Rosewood

1969 triple laminated Seduha, Bubinga, and Formica
1970 Triple laminated Imbuya, Zebrawood, and Formica

1971 Triple laminated Imbuya, Zebrawood, and Formica

Tip overlays five layers of Rosewood and Maple

Adjustable arrow rest (1969, 1971)

Brace Height 8 1/2inch -8 5/8inch

Priced 1967 -$150, 1969 (with extras)- $210, 1971-$185


Brad's 1969 Professional X10

My 1965? Professional X10
My Pristine 1968 Professional X10
The bow came with a perfect Shakespeare bow case. note the original Shakespeare arrow rest


    Many archers use field or hunting bows. Both tend to have higher draw weights and shorter AMO, usually less than 62 inches, and a draw weight of 45 pounds or higher. Competition bows from 1960-70 are generally longer AMOs and lower draw weights. A longer bow allows for a smoother draw, less string pinch, and stable release. I  own a Shakespeare Professional X10, Hoyt Pro Medalist, and a Pearson Golden Sovereign Lord Mercury.  Many archers have compared the Hoyt and Professional bows so I am comfortable drawing comparisons.

     I shot the Hoyt for ten years in Alaskan indoor tournaments and league competitions. A competition bow is incredibly forgiving. Small imperfections in style are not amplified as they are with a short heavy bow. I was able to shoot very dependable consistent scores which drove my friends nuts. I shot in the traditional leagues and never used the two stabilizers and still managed to shoot beautiful groups…drove my friends nuts.

    Competition Bows are usually available in auctions and tend to go for a higher price than hunting bows. I think most traditional shooters will benefit from shooting a competition bow in the off-season. It is very relaxing and the training will help when 3D or hunting season rolls around. Shakespeare produced excellent competition and target bows. The Titan X 15 introduced in 1967, it is very similar to the Professional but did not have a stabilizer or sights and is a good mid-priced bow. In 1968 The Supreme X16 was introduced. It was the entry-level tournament bow and was 66-inch AMO but had many of the characters of the Titan and Professional.
I shot all three of my target bows recently. The weights are similar #38-40+ Lbs. All three are brutally accurate but the Shakespeare was so much faster than the others that it surprised me. I had to adjust my aim for its speed I have been shooting competitively for 30+ years. My two personal best scores have been shot with a Professional X10.



 Thanks again to Brad Barclay for generously sharing his Wonderbow and his ABCs of Archery

THE ABCs OF ARCHERY 
Here are the scans of the ABC of Archery which came with the 1969 X10 professional....enjoy!!












© Copyright, Larry Vienneau Jr.
All rights reserved.


5 comments:

  1. The ABC's shows up several times in different adverts, it's nice to be able to see it even if it isn't in person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a 69' X10. Shoots like a dream. It also came with a round sew-on jacket patch for Shakespeare Archery

    ReplyDelete
  3. send us photos to add to the blog
    shakespeare.archer@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have just bought a wonderbow x10 1969 or 1970 and was wondering what the value was? It has the case, stabilizer,finger glove,bow sling,and stinger.All marked Shakespeare.Thanks Chuckie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Larry, my first Root bow was an X-10 Professional that the American Archer himself, Tom Nelson picked up for me at Sweet deal of $45 because he knew I collected vintage bows. My wife doesn't have a fondness for Tom now, just kidding. But it did start a love affair with Mr. Ernie Root and his bows. I met you along the way and Larry Root and others that have chosen the force of Root magic to finish their Golden Years of Archery. Hands down, Root Bows, I call all Shakespeare bows Root Bows because they came from the genius of Mr. Root, are the best full line bows ever made. My journey was recently capped off by assisting Larry 1 and Larry 2 in getting Mr. Ernie Root nominated to the Archery Hall of Fame.
    Hopefully if all goes well, Mr. Root will join the Archery Hall Fame. Larry it has been a pleasure and T-Shirts are coming soon.

    Rick Mansberger
    Redmond Sports Group

    Get Back to Your Roots
    Grab your Root Bow
    🏹🏹🏹🏹🏹

    PS I also inspired the Index for the blog. Larry did the magic and the index is very cool.

    ReplyDelete