Popular Posts

Saturday, January 26, 2013

Shakespeare Wonderbow THE YUKON X24



1969 catalog
THE YUKON X24
by Larry Vienneau
 
The word Yukon is derived from the Dene Native word "Yuk-un-ah" which means "Great River." The Yukon X24 is aptly named for the rugged Yukon River Region which extends through Alaska and into Canada. The Yukon region has been a vital hunting region for thousands of years. Today the Yukon Charlie National Preserve in Alaska USA and the Kluane National Park and Reserve in Yukon Territories Canada create an international wilderness park complex.

Shakespeare Archery created a series of bows designed for the novice archer which included The Manitou x20, The Custer x22, and The Yukon x24. 


The Wonderbow X24 was first produced in 1963. It was designed to be an all-purpose bow. The 1963 bow had green woven glass and was 60” AMO. In 1964 The X24 was identical to the ’63 except the “64 had a red glass. During the early 1960’s Ernie Root was designing and building Shakespeare bows. Ernie Root was a talented and innovative bowyer.  He was also a busy man. While he produced bows for Shakespeare he also had his own archery business, Root Archery. The two archery lines were very similar. Shakespeare redesigned their line of bows, keeping the model numbers but radically changing the designs. After 1965 Shakespeare renamed the bows after National Parks and redesigned the models.
The only bow to retain the older style, profile, length at 60”, and even the same riser material was the Yukon X24. There is a slight modification to the profile with the Yukon taking on more reflexed limbs. The other obvious difference was the glass going from the vivid red of the X24 to the Yukon’s brown and forest green.  Aside from these slight differences the X24 and X24 Yukon are very similar bows.
 
1964 Wonderbow X24 in Red Glass


a very beat-up 1963 Wonderbow X24 in Woven Green Glass


1966-71 Yukon X24  Green and Brown Glass varieties
The Yukon X24 is a no-nonsense bow, with no overlays, and no fancy woods.  It is a rugged durable and reliable bow designed to be a sturdy, inexpensive yet accurate target/field bow ( first price $32.25).  It was created with the young archer in mind and intended to “take the strenuous beating of beginners” in school or camp environments. They were also fine hunting bows and are still called “Great Shooters”. Many of these bows were also part of archery sets that included bows quivers, glove targets, and arrows. They used “Island” Maple which is a term coined by Shakespeare, because there isn’t a variety of maple known by this name. “Island Maple” is most likely harvested from islands of the Pacific Northwest and it is likely Big Leaf Maple. Maple is a tough wood and its color will vary from a light honey color to a deep dark mustard brown. The Yukon was first introduced in 1966 with brown glass, and in 1970 green glass was used.



Yukon X24, 1966-71,

  • 60 inches AMO
  • Weights; 25 lbs to 50 lbs
  • Glass: 1966 – 1969 brown. 1970-71 green
  • Handle Polished Island maple, with built-in thumb rest
  • Recurve: Palm-pressure fit grip
  • Brace height 7 1/2 inches
  • Sight window 4 1/2 inches
  • Limbs 1 ½ inch wide
  • No tip overlays
  • arrow speed 174.66 FPS ( 12 shots, 410 gr arrow, avg.)

Lewie's beautiful Yukon X24 with brown glass and vintage sight
Another of Lewis Yukon X24. This one is a rich brown color


I have been looking for a nice left-handed Yukon but have not had much luck. Because these bows were used by novices the bows available for auction are often in rough shape. If you find a decent bow expect to do some cleaning and maybe refinishing. Also, make sure the limbs are straight. They (Right Hand) come up often in auctions so you can be picky. Lefties are less common but they are available. I am still waiting and looking for my bow. I have two wonderful examples of The Yukon. They belong to a good friend and Shakespeare collector, Lewis Kent. He has always been an archer and bow hunter but for years he succumbed to the “Dark Side” (compound bow- haha). He occasionally is tempted by the Dark Side but more and more he has rekindled the love of traditional archery and he is now bitten by the Shakespeare recurve bug. His bow is outstanding with straight limbs, an excellent finish, and a nicely-grained riser. It also has a vintage sight that was not original but was likely added decades ago. It had some light scuff and scratches but they were easily buffed. The bow is right-handed, so I won’t be shooting it, but I will look forward to seeing it shoot next time we have a target in front of us.

I am personally connected to the Yukon. I have hunted caribou and moose along its shores. I have panned gold and netted fish in its waters and climbed its cliffs and mountains. Some of the most lasting memories of Alaska are of the rugged people, both Native and subsistence non-natives, who wrest a living from its wilderness. 
I look forward to my Yukon x24

September 15, 2013. I finally have a left-handed Yukon X24. It has rarely been shot so it is in perfect condition with the original feather rest and Calf skin strike plate. It is 40# so it will make a nice target bow, its arrow speed is 174.66, very happy!!! I am glad I waited to find this great bow.
My Yukon X24 with original feather rest and calf hair strike plate
 
As usual, if you have any comments or if you have information to add please post them





© Copyright, Larry Vienneau Jr.
All rights reserved.

29 comments:

  1. very nice. I just picked one of these bows up on ebay. The seller says it's been sitting (on a rack) for a long time and has not been strung.

    Is there any trick to putting an old Yukon back into use safely?

    Any advice is very welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello and congratulations on the bow!
    I posted an Article that should help.
    http://shakespearearchery.blogspot.com/2013/01/how-to-buy-vintage-bows_12.html

    always use a stringer to string your bow, make sure the bow doesn't have any twist to the limbs or separation in the lamination. If it has been on a rack it should be OK, much better than the one I am refinishing now that looks like it was left in a shed for 20 years. Let me know if you need and more help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great--thanks very much

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there. What bowstring should I use for this bow?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, you will need a string for a 60 inch AMO, the actual string will be 4 inch shorter so it will be 56 inch. Use Dacron string - no fast flight string- !
    If you order a string make sure the vendor knows it is for a vintage bow .
    Hope that helped, have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. great--thanks again

      Delete
    2. I actually found to get the factory specified 7-1/2" brace height, I needed to go with a 57" string on the 60" X24 I refurbished.

      Delete
    3. I have a 60 inch tioga and a 58 inch necedeh to get the recommended brace height I needed to get strings 2 inches shorter for each bow @ 8.5 for the tioga and 7/34 for the necedeh . Not sure why with all that I have read on the string should be 4 in he's shorter than bow length ?

      Delete
    4. Yup 4 inch, 60 inch now need a 56 inch string

      Delete
  6. I have this bow for sale: Shakespeare Wonder bow. I bought it new in mid 60’s. Custer Model X22, E5875G, 60”, 40+ lb., 28” draw. Lightly used, not pulled in over 40 years. I think it was white once but is now a cream color due to age. It is in perfect condition except I had a wrist strap with adhesive and the adhesive did not all come off.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a Yukon x34, 40 lbs and was wondering about it's maximum draw, since a friend of mine draws almost to 32 inch.. and I wonder if that's still safe for the bow. An answer would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is hard to say, yukon is a long bow so it should take the longer draw length. I would take it easy though, take it to 29 shoot a couple arrows. Then 30 and so on. If you hear or feel any creaking, stop. Take it slow at first. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  9. ty for your reply and also for this page - now I finally know what kind of bow I got there hanging on my wall. I was surprised to read this bow is about my age ;)
    Wish you Merry X-Mas and a Happy New Year, of course :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been shooting this bow for the last 2 years and have finally decided to search info about it. Thank you for having so much information. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for the informative page. I just discovered that i have the x24 model not a Yukon. I found it at an estate sale for $1.00.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I HAVE A 66 YUKON X24LEFT HAND THAT HAS BEEN IN MY BASEMENT STORAGE. IS THIS 60" BOW OK FOR AN ADULT?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! It was intended as a general purpose bow and it is a good shooter. I own one and it shoots as well as more expensive bows. Have fun!!

      Delete
  13. Hoping you can help me, as I'm having a little trouble finding more information on this bow. I'm restoring my dad's Yukon. I looks exactly like the pictured bow at the top of the page, except it's green. It has a sight rail, mounted to the front side of the riser. Your hand actually overlaps the rail when you hold it properly. I'm not sure it's mounted correctly. Additionally, it has a small hole drilled on the back side of the riser. I don't know what this hole is for. I'm think of removing the sight rail and filling all holes. Do you know anything that may help, or where I can look? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just bought a Shakespeare model x22... 60# C5719M 28"... Can't find any information on this bow..any information would be appreciated

    ReplyDelete
  15. Someone must have drilled it out for a burger button / plunger. Does it have a brass threaded insert? If done properly, it should.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Is there a source for replacement decals for these bows? I have a Super Necedah with the deer head. I need the "Shakespeare Wonderbow" decal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately there isn't.
      Al's Decals may be making them now but I do not know for sure:

      Al Harford, acaah@aol.com 734-856-2591. The subject line of your email should have "decals"

      https://shakespearearchery.blogspot.com/2013/06/using-decals-to-complete-your-vintage.html?m=1

      Delete
  17. I have just recently added a Yukon to my collection of vintage recurve bows and have been shooting it a lot . It is amazing and very accurate and its in great shape . I usually shoot 45 lb. to 50 lb. bows but made a exception with this Yukon at 40 lb. been reaching out with it from 65 ' ft. to 100' ft . and It is one of my favorite shooters .

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have a 35# Yukon that I have had since the mid 1990's and still shoot regularly. From the information here, I think it was made in July 1969. Has some tiny cracks in the surface finish on the limbs but the riser looks great. Still shoots great. Tickled to find out I have a 49 year old bow. Any estimate on its value?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you very much for creating this post. I have a Yukon X24 that was gifted to me by my stepfather and I absolutely love this bow. Thank you for the information you have posted. My bow is a 60 inch 50lb draw at 27 inches and I draw 29.5 soI am guessing close to 58 lbs. I hunt with 579 grain arrows.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was just gifted an X24 Yukon 60” 30+ lbs. It has green glass, In beautiful shape, looking at the serial number guide says 68 for year if it is that old is it safe to string it and shoot?

    ReplyDelete
  21. it should be, use Dacron 50, NOT fast flight string.

    ReplyDelete