Popular Posts

Tuesday, May 25, 2021

Root's Last bow: The Root Rover

 

ROOT ROVER

 


I don't have many resources from Ernie Root such as catalogs, ads, or magazine articles to help me write this post. As a left-handed archer, I have discovered that Root produced very few left-handed bows, which were mainly special orders. I could try shooting right-handed, but I prefer to assess a bow with my left hand. So, I'll have to wait until I acquire a left-handed bow to provide a shooting review. From my research on Root serial numbers, I learned that this particular bow was manufactured between 1965 and 1971. The Rover, an entry-level bow, had a light draw weight that started at 15 lbs. and went up to 40 lbs. It was designed for target shooting by smaller or less experienced archers. The Shakespeare Model X24 and the Rover were introduced in 1965 and 1966 respectively, to cater to young archers and withstand the wear and tear of beginners in school or camp environments. On the other hand, the Yukon was a shorter bow with a draw weight of up to 50 lbs., making it ideal for hunting. While the Rover was not intended for hunting, it could be ordered in hunting weights. Although Ernie Root did not have a significant amount of written material, I possess a few of his catalogs, magazine articles, and ads. Unfortunately, these items did not provide me with enough information to write this post. As a left-handed archer, I am aware that Root manufactured very few left-handed bows, and most of them had to be custom ordered. Although I could try shooting right-handed, my accuracy and assessment of a bow are better when using my left hand. Therefore, I will have to wait until I acquire a left-handed bow to provide a shooting review. After collecting Root's serial numbers for some time, I discovered that this specific bow was produced between 1965-1971. The Rover bow was an entry-level model with a draw weight starting at 15 lbs and increasing up to 40 lbs, making it ideal for smaller or less experienced archers who prefer target shooting. The Shakespeare Model X24 and the Rover were launched in 1965 and 1966, designed with young archers in mind, and intended to withstand the rigorous use of beginners in school or camp environments. Although the Yukon was a shorter bow, it had a draw weight of up to 50 lbs, making it suitable for hunting. The Rover, on the other hand, was not intended for hunting, but it could be custom ordered in hunting weights.



 1966 catalog “A great value- The same quality as in all Root Bows. An ideal all-around bow for the beginner and economy-minded and great for family fun. The Rover has modified recurve tips, a full-view center-shot sight window, and a full-size hand-polished positive aligned grip. The smooth drawing limbs are Micro tapered. The select hardwood handle section has a multi-coated hand-rubbed finish for beauty and permanence. Price $22.50”

 


The Rover was a versatile and reliable bow, often praised for its smooth shooting. Following the merger of Root and Shakespeare in 1969, it was rebranded as the Rover X152. By 1970, like all Root models, it had been renamed "Root by Shakespeare".



If you come across these bows in auctions or for sale, they may require some refinishing work due to the wear and tear of children. However, the heavier bows tend to be in better condition. For collectors of vintage bows, the Root Rover recurve bow would be a valuable addition. Personally, I am on the hunt for a left-handed Rover.

 


ROOT ROVER

  • Years: Root Rover 1965-68, 1969-71 Rover X152 (Root by Shakespeare 1970-71)
  • 62” AMO
  • Draw 15# - #40, #45-#50 special order.
  • Brace 7 ½
  • Limbs 1 ½
  • 5” sight
  • Riser: Maple, or Exotic Hardwood
  • Fiberglass: White, Light Green, or Dark Green 

 UPDATE: On August 27th, 2022, I purchased this Root last December at a reduced price due to its poor condition, as evidenced by its original Root decal. Although the model decal is no longer present, its profile, stats, and serial numbers indicate that it is a Root Rover. This bow is designed for left-handed users and weighs over 45 pounds, with the scale measuring it at 46 and a half pounds at 28 inches. This model would have been specially ordered due to its left-handed orientation and the fact that 45–50-pound bows are not common. The tips of the bow had some delamination, but I was able to fix them using Loctite 420. The effort was well worth it!


My 1965 Lefty Root Rover


7 comments:

  1. Our Fly Fishing group was recently gifted a Root Rover X152, AMO Standard, 62", BO677, +45+, 28" bow in very good shape. While I am not a bow shooter it appears to be a left handed bow if the arrow rest is intended to face away from the body when the bow is held. We intend to list it on ebay and are wondering what a good starting price would be? My assumption is that the draw weight is 45# or more and the length is 62" with a draw length of 28" which would make this a special order bow along with the left hand configeration. I can send photos to anyone who replies with help. Thanks for your interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello, sorry I missed your comment. send phots to shakespeare.archer@aol.com

      Delete
    2. I have a RootRover right hand. Ser # K 6366. Shoots very good.TOM

      Delete
    3. I have a RootRover right hand. Ser # K 6366. Shoots very good.TOM

      Delete
  2. Nice effort, very informative, this will help me to complete my task.

    Archery

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hon I have a root recurve left handed I was given .i am looking to sell

    ReplyDelete
  4. go to our Facebook group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/Vintagebowcollectors

    ReplyDelete